Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reading .

When i'm bored , i like to read. I read about whatever intrigues me at the moment whether it's places i've never been, or people who i've never met, or i'll read about an artist whose work i've never seen/heard, i just read. I like to read because there's so many views out there more grand then my own, i am just one piece in this giant puzzle and i like to see what others have to offer to the puzzle as well. Today i was reading this book, and in the book the author pointed out a simply true point: "True friendship can only occur among equals." Take some time and meditate on that. Cause how true is that? By equals they don't mean age groups, or race, or ethnicity or any of that. By equal he means people you place on the same level as you. If you feel somebody is better than you, or less than you you could never really be their friend. This quote isn't telling you to do that, this quote is telling you the exact opposite. By placing limits on people, placing them on pedestals (making them more special then they truly are) or thinking you are better than others (making yourself more special then others) keeps you from the possible friends/experiences you could one day experience. No one is better than anybody else, but society constantly finds ways to "rank" us. A TCC graduate is no less than a Yale graduate although society might make it so. But contrary to what society might say, a TCC graduate and a Yale graduate could be best friends if they understand that as well. Basically the moral is don't put people on pedestals, and don't belittle them either. Understand that you and them have your differences, but since you are human you have your similarities. It's weird to me when a man (or female) places me on a pedestal. I've had dudes like me a LOT, and i couldn't understand why seeing as though we only had a 5 minute encounter once or twice. It's like you only like me in your head. You like what you want me to be, and when you actually spend time with me i'm not going to be this fantasy person you dream of. I think that's why ironically majority of the people you are head over heels for don't feel the same. I think humans have this fight of flight thing about that. I could never be with someone who placed me on this pedestal that i can't live up to, and assumed this about me before even knowing me. I also could never be friends with somebody who never gave me a chance. Whether it's for a relationship/job/friendship whatever. You didn't know me, but you somehow assumed that i wasn't good enough to be on your level, whatever level that is. You should never belittle others because you never know what they can teach you, or show you. I'm sure there are people who didn't want to be friends with Barack obama, or girls that didn't want to date him, or companies who didn't want to hire him who are probably kicking themselves right now. Basically every human being is amazing. We all have our flaws, but we all have things to offer. Don't ever sell yourself short by thinking another human being is flawless, or disposable. You might have missed out on the best thing of your life, settling for what you thought was perfect, or turning your back on who might have just been perfect for you. Thats all <3>

1 comment:

TomO said...

DAMN deep shit...but all very true, cant say i kno too many ppl who think things thru like dat